Discovering Ama and its wines

A wonderful evening organized by AIS Siena to discover Ama, its territory and its wines with Ama Castle And the different expressions of sangiovese.

"Wine is a journey, wine has to tell a story": this in a nutshell is the thinking of Marco Pallanti, who together with his wife Lorenza Sebasti in the hamlet of Castello di Ama tells an extraordinary cultural mix of splendid wines and wonderful works of contemporary art

A territory that reaches up to 500 meters above sea level, where Marco and Lorenza have never made Sangiovese in purity, from the stony and calcareous soil, they have created 5 different labels, also with international varietals, starting with Merlot in the Apparita area, because when the sky is clear, Siena appears, a powerful, elegant, fresh and fruity wine that manages to capture the attention of American critics who give great scores. Then they devote themselves even more to Chianti Classico, with wines from a single vineyard: Bellavista, San Lorenzo, La Casuccia and Bertinga, adding their love of art to their love of quality wine.

The wines in the tasting:

Castello di ama 2016, Sangiovese 80%, and then Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Malvasia Nera for the remaining 20%. The 'vintage is a bright ruby red with purple hues, fruity nose with hints of red fruits and spices and harmonious, fresh, persistent and fruity palate.

Chianti Classico "San Lorenzo," Castello di Ama's Grand Selection, a blend of Sangiovese 80%, Merlot and Malvasia Nera, vinified in steel with maceration for 21-23 days and aged 12 months in barrique for the first-passage 20%, then at least 24 months in bottle. A nose with pleasant notes of berries and spices and on the palate a pleasant elegance, refined softness and harmonious balance.

Both 2011 and 2014 have a vibrant ruby color, bouquet of berries on the nose, enriched by pleasant spicy notes. Elegant and refined on the palate, with a pleasantly fruity aftertaste. Tannins are well polished, the sip is full-bodied and energetic, but always balanced. The closure is of long and refined persistence.

The 2015, a fine vintage: a Sangiovese of class and structure with the sweeter, darker fruit nuances of the two finishing vines. A wine nonetheless vivid and crisp, supported by a solid, supple skeleton that foreshadows its long and bright life.

Purple rose 2017 Toscana IGT, Rosato is a wine from sangiovese and merlot that is made from the bloodletting of grapes destined to produce Chianti Castello di Ama. After a 12-hour fermentation in contact with the skins, the must is left to ferment in white and the 50% undergoes malolactic fermentation; after qualche additional month of steel, the Rosato is bottled. The nose shows fruity notes of wild strawberries, cherries and small red fruits. The palate is fresh, dry, savory and mineral, with good balance. A very pleasant rosé that I remember with extreme pleasure.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *